I also added in Vital Proteins Marine Collagen for extra nutritional benefits, not only is collagen beneficial to your health BUT it adds in protein to your mix! About 2 scoops of the collagen will give you about 9 grams of protein, mixed with the gluten free oats, eggs, and banana they are sure to keep you full until your next meal. I've been using Vital Proteins Marine Collagen for many years as I am sure you can see just by searching it on my blog! I think by now I have over 20 recipes with it from banana breads, energy bars, smoothies, sweet potato salad, desserts; the list goes on! When I started to incorporate it into my diet I noticed;
My hair started to grow like crazy
I felt that I could eat more of a variety of foods since it helps with your gut
My skin started to clear up and I had more of that natural glow
My nails were stronger
Overall I just felt better and try to sneak it into as many things as I can. Since you can't taste it, it makes it pretty easy to do so.
This recipe calls for gluten free oats, a banana, eggs, baking powder, flax, vanilla, cinnamon, and the collagen! I have a recipe on my blog for 2 ingredient banana pancakes but recently I have found that they aren't as easy to flip or stay together like these do - the addition of the other ingredients keeps them together and makes them super fluffy!
I added in blueberries and chocolate chips, but you can add in anything you want to keep them plain! I like to top pancakes with either coconut butter or melted nut butter, but obviously maple syrup will work! You can also make these ahead of time, freeze them and then when you are ready to eat pop them in your toaster oven or just heat in the oven for a few minutes. If you aren't freezing the pancakes they will last up to 4 days in the fridge!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 4-5 minutes each side for a total of 8-10 minutes
Total time: less than 20 minutes
Yields: 7 pancakes
1 medium - large sized banana
1 scoop or 1 packet of Vital Proteins Marine Collagen
1 cup gluten free oats (quick cooking kind)
2 tbsp. ground flaxseeds or ground chia seeds
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
few dashes of cinnamon
1/2 cup egg whites (equals 4 eggs with yolked removed)
Additional add ins: chocolate chips, blueberries, bananas, nuts, etc!
1. Add ALL of the ingredients, except for the "additional add ins" into your blender. Blend until fully incorporated on medium speed. 3-5 minutes.
2. Over medium heat on a non stick skillet, add 1-2 tbsp. of coconut oil. Allow the pan to heat for a few minutes.
3. Pour about 1/4 cup heaping size into the skillet. After 4 minutes, the edges should begin to crips and bubbles will form. FLIP and ADD your toppings of choice and let the pancakes cook for an addition 3-4 minutes.
4. Serve warm or cold with maple syrup, nut butters, coconut butter, extra berries, few dashes of cinnamon or anything you like!
1. You can make the pancakes any size you want, the larger the size the longer you will cook on each side.
2. Store the remaining pancakes in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for longer. To re-heat simply place in your toast oven or in the oven until warm.
3. You do not have to use gluten free oats, regular oats will work fine! I haven't tested any other flours etc.
4. I used a yellow/firm banana, but if the banana is very ripe the pancakes will be sweeter. You can always add in a sweetener of choice, but not necessary.
5. The marine collagen is optional and can be left out, just simply adds extra nutritional benefits. If you do leave it out it does not need to be replaced with a substitute.
6. You can also add in protein powder. I would suggest 2 scoops of your favorite brand/flavor!