All week I have been wanting to make a blueberry bread; probably because I have so many blueberries in my fridge for my morning smoothies and I needed to use a few before they turned bad!
I didn't have any eggs on hand, so I made this loaf vegan (no eggs/no butter); using vegan cream cheese to make sure that it came out moist. If you don't have any of that on hand you can either sub for a non dairy sour cream or your favorite greek yogurt in equal parts. (see notes). I added in some fresh lemon, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg and it came out so flavorful.
Once you mix all of the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients you simply fold in the blueberries carefully and then bake in the oven for about an hour. The middle came out pretty dense and the edges were crispy. I used frozen blueberries for this, so the bread was a bit wet in the middle and had to be cooked longer than an hour, but I suggest thawing out the blueberries first to get rid of the extra moisture OR simply using fresh blueberries!
Immediately when it was finished baking in the oven, I sprinkled a little coconut sugar and cinnamon on top! One trick that I learned to make the edges crispy (even the sides!) is to coat your dish with a non stick spray or coconut oil and then add in coconut sugar straight to the pan coating all sides. ANY BREAD TASTES SO GOOD THAT WAY!
You can leave out the lemon if you prefer and sub any non dairy milk of choice! Feel free to add in chopped nuts or even sprinkle oats on top!
Breakfast / Snack
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 1 hour (see notes)
Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Yields: 1 loaf
What you need:
3/4 cup almond milk (or any non dairy alternative)
1/2 cup vegan cream cheese or non-dairy sour cream
3 tbsp. coconut oil, melted & cooled
Juice from 1 lemon
1 tbsp. vanilla
1/4 cup coconut sugar
2 cups unbleached flour
dash of nutmeg or pumpkin spice
2 tsp. ginger
1 tbsp. cinnamon
dash of sea salt
1.5 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup of blueberries
What you need to do:
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and line a 9x9 baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl combine the almond milk, vegan cream cheese, vanilla, coconut oil, and lemon juice. Mix until well incorporated.
3. In a separate bowl combine the remaining ingredients except the blueberries.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until fully incorporated.
5. Using a wooden spoon or spoon carefully incorporate the blueberries into the mix; do not over mix.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared dish and bake at 375 degrees for about 50 minutes. Check, if a knife comes out clean once poked in the middle, it is done, if not bake for an additional 5-10 or until knife is clean when testing!
Allow the blueberry bread to cool completely, then slice! Lasts up to a week in fridge!
1. Any non dairy milk will work
2. If you are not using a vegan cream cheese, you can replace that with the same measurements of EITHER non dairy greek style yogurt OR non dairy sour cream.
3. You can sub coconut oil for olive oil.
4. If you are using frozen blueberries, the bread will be more dense and will need to be baked for longer. I suggest using fresh blueberries or allowing them to completely thaw out to reduce a bit of the moisture.
5. Any berries will work if you do not like blueberries!
6. Store in the fridge for up to a week!
7. I haven't tested any other flours, but oat flour would be a good sub. If you are using coconut flour you may need more liquid and almond flour will result in a dense loaf.