These were one of my favorite things to eat as a kid, especially on the weekends during my swimming days. I always ate the ones from the package; so who knows what I was putting in my body when I would consume a few in a row - but I especially loved the homemade ones at our swim meets- they were extra large in size, I mean what isn't or wasn't supersize - super sticky from the marshmallows, and of course overly sweet. Honestly, probably what made me swim so fast for each race- fueled by sugar ha!
I wanted to re-create these, using a bit less sugar or a healthier alternative, no marshmallow nor butter, and of course adding in some extra nutrients, like Vital Proteins Marine Collagen. If you search my blog you can see that most of my recipes; especially my snack recipes, contain collagen! It has been extremely beneficial with improving gut health; (I used to suffer from leaky gut, SIBO, and IBS), making my hair grow fast, strong, and shiny, as well as improving my skin! I try to add Vital Proteins Marine Collagen into my routine almost every single day, by either adding in a few scoops to my smoothies, coffee, and hiding it in all of my energy bites. I also love their beauty water flavors for my morning water with lemon; it adds flavor and mixes well. The best thing is that you can't taste the Marine Collagen yet it adds all these benefits for your overall health and extra protein!
For these rice krispies treats you only need a few ingredients; I used peanut butter (but any nut butter or seed butter will work), a sweetener of choice, the collagen, and of course a rice cereal! After melting everything together, stirring in the cereal and the collagen, all you have to do is wait about 30 minutes for everything to settle!
They taste like the real deal! They came out super crunchy, sticky, and both a little salty plus sweet! I topped mine with cacao nibs and melted a little coconut butter on top, but it is completely optional!
Snack / Dessert
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 mins or so to set in fridge
Total time: less than 40 minutes!
What you need:
1/2 cup brown rice syrup* see notes
3 cups Brown Rice Cereal (or any rice type cereal blend)
1/3 cup nut butter or seed butter of choice (PB, Cashew Butter, or Sunflower Seed etc)
1 tbsp. vanilla
2 tbsp. coconut oil
dash of sea salt
few dashes of cinnamon
2 scoops Vital Proteins Marine Collagen
What you need to do:
1. In a medium sized sauce pan stir together coconut oil, nut / seed butter of choice, vanilla, cinnamon, and sea salt until well combined.
2. Once the mix is smooth, take the sauce pan off the heat and add in the rice cereal as well as the collagen.
3. Stir until well incorporated.
4. Pour in a lined (lightly coated with coconut oil or spray) 9x9 pan and spread evenly. Allow to settle in the fridge for up to 30 minutes. Cut into slices and store in an airtight container for up to a week.
I topped mine with cacao nibs! I also love melting coconut butter and drizzling that on top!
1. You can use any sweetener of choice. Honey would work second best, because it is a little more stickier than maple syrup. I haven't tried date paste or an alternative, but it will change the taste a bit and the texture. If you aren't using brown rice syrup, keep the treats in the fridge for a bit longer to harden!
2. Any nut or seed butter will work. I used crunchy peanut butter.
3. Add in anything you like (chocolate chips, cacao powder, etc!)
4. The Vital Proteins Marine Collagen is completely optional, but it adds so many nutritional benefits! You won't taste a thing!