20 minutes from start to finish for these cookies and I am pretty sure you have everything you need for them in your kitchen right now....these are everything but the kitchen sink cookies; compost cookies; with hints of peanut butter, chocolate, coconut, a little nutty, a tad sweet and salty!
They are super soft and chewy in the middle but crunchy on the outside; you're going to love them. Each bite is a little different since, I basically threw a few of my favorite things in the bowl to make up these cookies; low sugar paleo granola, creamy peanut butter, unsweetened shredded coconut flakes, cacao nibs, gluten free oats, dark chocolate chips, and just a few more ingredients. The best part is; for the extra add ins; you can do as you please- you can use your favorite nuts, chopped dates, seeds, hard candies- you get the idea!
I used a small amount of coconut sugar to sweeten up the cookies, but they make a hefty/ healthy cookie because not only do we have fiber and protein from the peanut butter, the nuts and the gluten free oats, but I added in Vital Proteins Marine Collagen. By now, you are aware that collagen is a huge part of my daily routine (you can read about it here) and it has truly made a positive impact on my overall health. Plus, since it does not change the texture of anything and the fact that it is tasteless, it is extremely simple to incorporate it in your everyday diet - smoothies, coffees, snacks, dressings, and any meal! If you search my blog you'll see that I have a handful ranging from: (+ many more)
The Marine Collagen adds in protein (9 grams per serving) and personally it has helped my IBS symptoms, helped improve my leaky gut, helped with hair growth, brighten my skin complexion, and really keeps my gut more balanced allowing me to eat a more variety of foods because my digestive system has improved since taking! A simple thing to add into my diet that has changed my health for the long term! So, why not sneak a few scoops in my cookies; especially when you can't taste it!
These cookies make the perfect treat since they are so quick to make, simple, and you can cater them to you needs; just make sure you keep the nut to chocolate ratio pretty even!
Yields: 11 cookies
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
What you need:
1/3 cup coconut sugar
1 tbsp. vanilla
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
2 scoops Vital Proteins Marine Collagen
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tbsp. almond flour
few pinches of sea salt
1/4 cup of your favorite paleo granola
3 tbsp. cacao nibs
1/4 cup chopped chocolate or chips
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut flakes
2 tbsp. gluten free rolled oats
What you need to do:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add the peanut butter, egg, vanilla, and the coconut sugar. Mix until well combined; either by hand, electric mixer or your blender.
3. In a small bowl combine the almond flour, baking soda, sea salt, and the Vital Proteins Marine Collagen and then add to the large mixing bowl. Stir until fully incorporated.
4. Lastly, add in the remaining ingredients. Stir by hand.
5. Scoop into even sizes (about the size of a golf ball). Add to your baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes. The cookies will be soft/tender in the middle and crunchy on the outside. When finished sprinkle with sea salt.
1. If you are allergic to nuts or do not want to use peanut butter, you can sub any nut butter or seed butter of choice.
2. Coconut flour or oat flour can replace the almond flour.
3. For the add-ins (cacao nibs, chocolate chips, oats, shredded coconut flakes, granola) feel free to use anything you would like but stick to the measurements above somewhat. For example, you can sub 1/4 cup of the granola for 1/4 cup chopped nuts or 3 tbsp. gluten free oats for 3 tbsp. goji berries or pumpkin/sunflower seeds.
4. I did not test a flax egg, but it should work since the nut butter holds the cookie together as well.
5. You can omit the collagen it only enhances the nutritional benefits of the cookies! Just completely omit the collagen and it doesn't need to be replaced with anything.
6. Store in an air tight container for up to a week in the fridge or in the freezer for longer!