Whenever I make bark, I always forget how simple it is and how healthy it can be! Not only, can you cater it to your needs, add anything in you want, and constantly change up the flavors, but also, it makes the perfect holiday gift or dessert! It looks so pretty, doesn’t it?
You can use white chocolate, dark chocolate, crunchy graham crackers, or salty nuts to customize it however your guests want! This one is covered with gingerbread cookies, candied ginger, crushed pistachios, blackstrap molasses, pecans, cacao powder, and just a few other holiday spices. This is completely dairy-free and held together with Organic Flax Cooking Oil from Carrington Farms. Unlike typical some oils, this Organic Flax Cooking Oil can withstand medium to high heat! The Organic Flax Cooking Oil gives the bark a bit of a nutty flavor. It is vegan and filled with healthy Omega 3 fatty acids. I also love using in smoothies, as a base for salad dressings, or for roasting vegetables. It is super versatile and can be used the same way you would use any cooking oil. It is available to order right off their website, CarringtonFarms.com and in grocers nationwide!
Once you pick the toppings you want to use for your holiday bark you need to melt both the Organic Flax Cooking Oil with the cacao powder. Pour the mixture over parchment paper on a cookie tray and let it freeze for about five minutes while you gather the other ingredients. After five minutes, take the bark out of the freezer and sprinkle all your toppings. Place it back in the freezer until it completely sets - about 15 minutes or so! Then chop into slices! I keep mine frozen because it has the tendency to melt at room temperature, but it can be left in the fridge for a bit of a softer bite!
There are so many flavors and toppings to choose from! For example, you can add in crushed candy canes, pretzels, or even fruit like blueberries or pomegranate seeds! You can also swirl in peanut butter – yum!
HOLIDAY GINGERBREAD CHOCOLATE BARK
Yields: about 20 slices, depending on how you cut the bark!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Freeze time: At least 15-20 minutes
Total time: Less than 30 minutes
3/4 cup Carrington Farms Organic Flax Cooking Oil
1 cup Cacao powder
1/4 cup Dairy-free chocolate chips (optional)
1 tbsp. Molasses
1/2 tbsp Vanilla
Dash of sea salt
about 1-2 cups total
Gingersnap cookies, crushed
1. First, prepare the base of the gingerbread bark. Combine and melt the Carrington Farms Organic Flax Cooking Oil, cacao powder, molasses, chocolate chips, vanilla, and sea salt over the stove on medium to low heat. Constantly stirring to ensure it does not burn. You can taste test at this point and adjust to your needs.
2. Once it is melted, pour over parchment paper on either a cooking sheet or a square pan. Place in the freezer for about 5 minutes. You do not want it completely frozen!
3. After 5 minutes, remove the bark from the freezer and sprinkle the toppings.
4. Place back in the freezer and let settle for 15 or so minutes.
5. Cut into slices of any size and serve! To store, keep in an airtight container in the freezer!