Granola tends to be a weakness of mine, but I typically do not buy it from the stores because of the ingredients most have; such as added sugars or dried fruits. I also love when granola is on the clustery side and find it so disappointing when you buy granola and it is crumbly or stale! Making your own granola is so much easier than you think. You are really just putting all the ingredients you want in one bowl, mixing it up, and allowing it to set in the oven, which is why I tend to make most of mine at home! The prep time is very minimal and it only takes about 30 minutes in the oven, but you are left with granola that you can feel good about, that is super satisfying, and full of all the flavors that you want it to be! - whether it is sweetened, unsweetened, vanilla, maple cinnamon, or like this one: a chocolate reishi cold brew granola! This homemade granola is grain free, is full of chocolate flavor, hints of coconut, a little salty, a tad bit sweet from the maple syrup, and has a little mocha/coffee flavor from the Reishi Cold Brew elixir that I used from REBBL!
This is one of my favorite REBBL drinks, because it has no added sugars and I love the benefits of reishi! I am pretty sure I haven't seen a drink like this out there, with a combination such as this- no added sugars, one filled with adaptogens, and that actually tastes super creamy and satisfying. I am excited that REBBL came out with a drink focusing on this aspect! REBBL drinks are coconut milk based, so this reishi cold brew drink is extra creamy and smooth! It isn't acidic like most other coffee tasting drinks, that usually can upset your stomach, and like I mentioned before it is very low in sugar and has over 9 grams of fiber! I also love that it has reishi because it is known to have a calming affect calming on the body, support your immunity, as well as support to obtain a long and healthy life! Reishi is an amazing adaptogen, which are herbs and substances that increase the body’s resistance to stress and help it overcome all health challenges more quickly. I think that reishi, is THE thing in 2017. It is getting a lot of buzz lately, but the benefits are so worthy to the body, that it's worth adding into your everyday eats! So, not only is this granola delicious, but it also has amazing health benefits too! You can also see other recipes that I have created using the REBBL elixirs, like these raw maca mocha coconut fudge cups or these savory turmeric carrot fritters.
For this granola, I chose to keep it pretty simple by using almonds, cashews, and walnuts as the base! I created a liquid so everything would clump together- hence how the clusters are born in the oven!- by mixing together the Reishi Cold Brew elixir with chia seeds, coconut oil, almond butter, and maple syrup! Then, you simply mix everything together by hand, pour it over a sheet pan and bake it in the oven! Half way through, you carefully want to flip the granola but make sure that you do not let the pieces break to ensure you have some clusters in your granola! When it was completely finished, I allowed it to cool off on the pan in the open air to let the granola crisp up a bit and sprinkled it with a little bit of cacao powder, extra coconut flakes and just a little coconut sugar! I keep it stored in the fridge for up to a few weeks! This would make the perfect topping for your yogurt bowls, smoothies, and packing it up into individualized little bags for on the go while you are out and about during the summer months! It is such a great snack to have on hand for everyone!
What you need:
Prep time: 10 minutes
total time: 45 minutes
Yields about: 4 1/2 cups
3/4 cup coconut flakes
3/4 cup almonds
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1/2 cup cashews
1/2 cup walnuts
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tbsp. cacao powder
2 tbsp. chia seeds
4 tbsp. Reishi Cold Brew REBBL elixir
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 heaping tbsp. coconut oil
1/2 cup almond butter (creamy)
What you need to do:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Mix together the chia seeds and the reishi cold brew REBBL Elixir. Set aside for at least 10 minutes.
3. In a large bowl add the dry ingredients: walnuts, coconut flakes, almonds, cashews, cacao powder, cinnamon, and the sea salt.
4. In a smaller bowl combine the maple syrup, coconut oil, almond butter and add the chia + reishi cold brew mixture. Stir until well incorporated.
5. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and give it a good stir, by using your hands.
6. Spread out the mix evenly on the baking sheet. At this point, you can somewhat control the size of the granola. I prefer chunks, so I scrunch some of mix together with my hands. This will allow the granola to stick together while it is baking in the oven.
7. Bake on the bottom rack of the oven for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes take the granola out of the oven and give it a gentle mix. To keep the clusters together lightly flip the granola.
8. Place the granola back in the oven for another 20 minutes. Careful that the nuts do not burn, check periodically. They will be a golden brown color.
9. Leave the granola on the pan for another 10 -15 minutes once it has finished in the oven. The air will give the granola a nice crunch! I tend to leave mine on the pan for an hour or after the 15 minutes I will put it in a container without the top for a while.
You can use any nut butter of preference. I would stick to a creamy one, so it is easier to mix.
If you are adding in anything else to the mixture such as chocolate chips, dried fruits, or goji berries, I would add them in once the granola is finished as they will tend to burn in the oven.
If you do not have the reishi cold brew, you can sub almond milk/coconut milk, but the reishi cold brew will give it a such a great mocha/chocolatey taste!
Be careful when you flip the granola if you want it to stay in clusters!