Roasted vegetables > anything else.
Your kitchen is going to smell amazing after you make this side dish. It is simple and has so much flavor just from two of the main ingredients that I used for this dish; curry and Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil with Butter and Garlic Flavors.
Cutting the acorn squash is probably the most difficult part of this recipe; I always fear losing a finger or two, you know?! BUT this makes such a perfect side dish for the holidays! Side note; for this I recently started to buy the smaller ones and found that it is so much easier to work with in terms of cutting and scooping out the seeds, than the larger ones - I can never cut through those!
For this dish, I just used curry powder, sea salt, pepper, and Nutiva’s organic, non-GMO Organic Coconut Oil with Butter and Garlic Flavors! It is a plant based coconut oil that has flavors of garlic and butter, but is non-dairy of course! It is ideal for spreads, roasting vegetables like this, and sautéeing! I love this one because it just has a hint of garlic, but isn't overpowering! Also, FYI it tastes amazing melted over popcorn AND I actually have made a "Buttery" Dark Chocolate Bark with their Organic Coconut Oil with Butter Flavor- you can find the recipe here! It is delicious!
It adds a lot of flavor to the dish and a little goes a long way! After roasting them, I added fresh herbs and cranberries, but you can add anything you want! You can serve them with lentils or any type of meat dish, or add a dip on top of them such as a yogurt or hummus!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
What you need:
Depending on the amount you are serving:
2 small acorn squash
2 tbsp. Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil with Butter and Garlic Flavors
2 tsp. curry powder
sea salt to preference
pepper to preference
a dash of nutmeg
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/4 cup cranberries
What you need to do:
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside
2. Cut your acorn squash in half and scoop out the seeds.
3. Cut in slivers seen in the photo, somewhat evenly and add to a large mixing bowl.
4. Toss with the curry powder, nutmeg, sea salt, pepper, and the Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil with Butter and Garlic Flavors until evenly coated.
5. Spread evenly on the baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes or until golden brown and tender to touch!
6. When finished, sprinkle with fresh parsley, cranberries, and a few dashes of curry powder.
Serve immediately. Store in fridge for up to a few days and to re-heat place back in the oven under the broiler for a few minutes or at 400 degrees for about 10 or so minutes.